Tuesday, November 10, 2009

About a Half a Mile from Heaven


"You dropped my Black Ass back down to this cold, cold, world."

I'm simply loving the debate going on over at YouTube about the words to the song, "Rocket Love" from Stevie Wonder's "Hotter than July" Album.

What's so funny about the debate, is that some of the young folks debating cannot believe that Stevie Wonder would say, "Black Ass". Bless their little hearts.

I was there when this Album dropped back in 1980. Stevie Wonder was the schitt! and, yes, he was sometimes raw.

My Black Ass, His Black Ass, Everbody's Black Ass. He said it and what? What's wrong with saying Black Ass? His ass is Black isn't it? He can scream it from the rooftop! I love the debate, it's funny as hell.

Anyway, I would have caught Stevie's beautiful Black Ass and dusted it right off, as soon as, she dropped it back down to this cold, cold, world.

THE GREAT DEBATE CONTINUES!
Did Stevie say . . .
Drop my Black Ass back down to this cold, cold, world? or
Drop me back down to this cold, cold, world?

Put me down for both, so what the fuss?

The "Hotter Than July" is the next CD that my Black Ass is going to purchase next week for the Thanksgiving dinner.

The album cover features Stevie's ICONIC LOOK!!! The original Album cover is probably a collecters item.

Hotter Than July was an historic Album, featuring, "Master Blaster (Jammin)", a creative reggae homage to the one and only, Bob Marley! The "Happy Birthday" song, dedicated to Martin Luther King and the King Holiday! Does anyone even sing Happy Birthday the orignial way anymore? I really don't think so. The "ALL I DO" song, originally written for the late, Tammi Terrell. Stevie later recorded the song with Micheal Jackson, Eddie LeVert,and Betty Wright singing background.

And of course,

Rocket Love, written by Stevie Wonder,

I longed for you since I was born,

A woman sensitive and warm,

And that you were.

With pride and strength no one could test,

But yet have feminine finesse,

And so much more.

You took me riding in your rocket, gave me a star,

But at a half a mile from heaven you dropped me back,

down to this cold, cold world,

Took me riding in your rocket, gave me a star,

But at a half a mile from heaven you dropped me back,

down to this cold, cold world.

A female Shakespeare of your time,

With looks to blow Picasso's mind,

You were the best,

Your body moved with grace and song,

Like symphonies by Bach or Brahms,

Nevertheless, oh oh.

You took me riding in your rocket, gave me a star,

But at a half a mile from heaven you dropped me back,

down to this cold, cold world,

Ooh you took me riding in your rocket, gave me a star,

But at a half a mile from heaven you dropped me back,

down to this cold, cold world.

NOTE: Somewhere he chose to fit in the words, "Black Ass"





The Church of Stevie Wonder Store


Let the church say, "AMEN!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Subscribe To My Podcast

The Congregation